Zu Ihrem Routenplaner unten hinzugefügt
Get route gradient profileGenerate
Individualisieren Sie Ihre Tour mit unseren Filtern.
The church was originally Saxon and Norman but was extensively damaged by fire in 1297. The fire, which was of malicious origin, also destroyed the tithe barns. As far as is known, the culprits were never discovered but nonetheless, they were excommunicated by sentence of Archbishop Winchelsea as published by him in person at Lenham in 1298.
The oldest part of the present building is to be found in the chapel of St. Edmund adjoining the chancel. There is part of the original Norman east wall with an upper window, beneath which an early 14th century decorated window has been inserted. The pillar between the chapel and chancel is also a survivor from the earlier building.
Most of the chancel and the entire nave were rebuilt after the fire in the Early English style of the 14th century. The north aisle was added in that same century. The sacristy (the present vestry) to the east of the chapel of St. Edmund dates from the 15th century.
The church is open during daylight hours.