Toegevoegd aan je reisplanner hieronder
Get route gradient profileGenerate
St Mary’s comes as a great surprise since it is a rarity, an unrestored red-bricked Georgian church built between 1768-71. The pathway from the road to the church with its dominating crenellated tower is 100 yards long and made up of old tombstones which lie like stepping stones in the grass.
Inside there is a marvellous sense of light enhanced by the barrel ceiling of the nave painted in an attractive light blue. All the windows are of plain glass, apart from a small Crucifixion scene in the East window with four roundels alongside depicting Wheat ( the Bread of Life ), a Rose, Grapes and a Lily.
The church is open from approximately 9 am-5 pm.