Toegevoegd aan je reisplanner hieronder
Get route gradient profileGenerate
A key is available for the church from the village shop during opening hours; 7-17.30 Mon-Sat and 8-12.30 Sun
The oldest part of the Church, the base of the tower, is Norman, so getting on for 1000 years old! There may even have been a church here before that, high up overlooking the river so that travellers crossing the ford could pray for safety. The naves (15th century) and chancel were built at different times, which is why they are out of alignment; the unusual double nave means that the church is a lot bigger than it looks from a distance.
Some of the most attractive features are the swords and helmets hanging in the chancel and chapel, the 17th-century Colepepper tomb, a beautiful brass in the floor of the chapel, and the spectacularly painted Victorian organ. There is a marvellous view from the top of the tower (occasionally open to the public - if you can cope with the ladder up to the top!), and the eight bells in the tower ring out most Sundays and during the week, especially for weddings.